Saturday 14 January 2017

Poems on Stone



Maybe I've spent too long on the beach but I've begun to wonder about stones... 


It's good to know I'm not alone, here's an extract from a fascinating Mary Oliver poem challenging us to think differently about the world around us.


Do Stones Feel?

Mary Oliver


Do stones feel?
Do they love their life?
Or does their patience drown out everything else?

When I walk on the beach I gather a few
      white ones, dark ones, the multiple colors.
Don’t worry, I say, I’ll bring you back, and I do.


I won't print the whole poem for copyright reasons but you can find it in her collection "Blue Horses".




Another provocative poem about stones is this one by Charles Simic and again I give you a taster

Stone
Charles Simic
Go inside a stone
That would be my way.
Let somebody else become a dove
Or gnash with a tiger’s tooth.
I am happy to be a stone.



From Selected Early Poems by Charles Simic. Copyright © 1999, 2012 by Charles Simic.

















 Naturally I have begun to write my own stone poems and will add a few here as they emerge. 

Set in Stone
Sally Givertz

Look!
These stones fit as if they were meant
The way that one is bent into the other’s curve

Sure, one’s much bigger than the other
And it’s not an obvious match

But when you see them leant together
It’s as if a patch of sky had found its perfect cloud

They don’t declare undying love aloud
They’re not just a load of hot air

Because they’re actually stones
It would be fair to say that -

At least in time-strapped human terms
Their love is here to stay

©sallygivertz 2017

























No comments:

Post a Comment